Friday, March 31, 2006

Jesus' Blood never failed me yet

We actually listened to this music in Creative music skill's class.And it was really something.I encourage u all to listen to it.There is a story behind it.The composer's name is Gavin Bryars.
The main singer is a tramp.They were recording voices searching for a suitable voice for their play.Gavin heard the record and it was suprisingly in tune with the piano.The left the recording on on a loop and went for a coffee break returning to find the ppl around calmer and some weeping realising that the recording of the old man's voice was still playing.The song only got real famous after a few years later.They tried to find the old man again but unfortunately he died.
The song entirely goes for 70-90minutes(or so says my lecturer).
1st impression when I heard it?
It started with the tramp but softly then gradually louder.We were all puzzled.It sounded like a drunk man or rather a person singing in the shower not knowing his voice was being recorded.Then the strings joins him which made more sense and the light feeling of the whole thing.Can't to think of of(I'm listening to it right now),it has enough power to make me cry.The touching voice and music background is totally something.
Later the whole orchestra joins in then the choir and Tom Waits sings with the tramp.But mind you,the tramp didn't sing life.It's his voice recording.
The great poignancy in his voice and the "human-ness" of the voice was something.The rhythm of his vocal line may be erratic and there is considerable irony in the relationship between what he is singing and his circumstances at the time.
It is a definite piece to listen to esp when you're stress or need to relax....

"Jesus' blood never failed me yet
Never failed me yet
Jesus' blood never failed me yet
There's one thing I know
For he loves me so... "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home